Monday, August 23, 2010

The Beginning of the End (of elementary school that is)

New School

Today marks the beginning of the last year of Elementary school for Bryson. As we drove to his new school today for the start of his 5th grade year I felt a little teary. Then I thought, this is silly, it is just 5th grade. I think I am just nervous for Bryson to go off and start a new school. This has been a long time coming. We have talked and talked about it but I know he was a little nervous this morning. I want him to have a good day and a fun day but I know what the first day in a new school is like. It is hard. I just wish I could check in on him. Wouldn’t it be great if they had cameras in the classroom and you could spy online? I would be on that all day.

You will notice he is going to Lakewood. Previously everything had been about Pirtle. Well Thursday I got a call from someone at Pirtle saying sorry but we are over crowded and you will need to take your son to Lakewood. I was not happy and knew Bryson would be upset. Not that there is anything wrong with Lakewood. It is great. Julie went there. But we were all set and ready to buy the Tshirts for Pirtle. Bryson took the news as well as could be expected. He cried for about 30 minutes. But I assured him it was all ok and that night we would go meet the teacher and everything would work out. So sure enough we went to meet the teacher and the attitude changes. Everything was ok. Plus we bought out all the Lakewood Tshirts. So now we are dressed for success!!!!

Yesterday we were at Target buying the final school supplies. I felt like we got a sign that Lakewood was where we were supposed to be. I pulled out the old worn list that I had picked up a few weeks earlier for school supplies. When I opened it I saw that the list I had picked up weeks earlier was actually for Lakewood. I had picked up the wrong one before. I showed Bryson and said see this is where you were supposed to go all along. Everything will be ok.

This morning Bryson said his stomach hurt and I assured him it was just nerves. We got up early and had breakfast. Chris tried to be a part but he is still fighting an illness. We loaded up and made the 17 minute drive to Lakewood (I timed it). When he was getting out I saw the nerves on his face but I said you will have a good day. He goes to BCYC after school and I will be anxious to pick him up. My little boy is growing up so fast.

This Friday we head to San Antonio to watch the Tigers play in the Alamo dome. We are so excited. I am sure a post will come soon about that.

I hope everyone has a wonderful school year. I know we will.

Telling Bubba Bye!

No comments: